From the point that the New Year’s resolutions began this year, there were already some diets that were proving to be more popular than all of the others. Though some will allow dieters to succeed, and others will allow them to fail, each of these has had the ability to spread widely throughout the dieting population.
Choosing From the Best Diets of 2022
According to the US News & World Report there are some diets that are still considered the most popular and the best diets for 2022. So, if you want to revamp your eating plan, consider following one of those diets, which are designed to help you maintain a state of health, while also helping you lose some extra weight.
The Best Diets of 2022
The following are the best diets for 2022 based on input from experts looking not only at popularity but also nutrition, overall healthy habits and outcomes.
The Mediterranean Diet
You’ve heard a lot about this diet in recent years, and it still remains one of the best. In fact, it has been linked to lower rates of heart disease and breast cancer.
Here are the basic guidelines:
- Start by eating more vegetables, fruits, nuts, beans, legumes, whole grains, olive oil, herbs, and spices. These should make up the vast majority of your diet.
- If you wish, add in some seafood, but keep it to just a couple of times per week.
- If you wish, add in cheese, yogurt, eggs, and poultry, but make sure they’re consumed in moderation.
- Red meat and sweets should be reserved only for special occasions.
- Red wine is an option, but only have a small amount.
The Vegan Diet
Also referred to as the plant-based diet because “vegan” is really a lifestyle more than a diet, this eco-friendly, animal-friendly, and healthy way of eating has become increasingly more popular over the last few years, with more and more people making the switch and loving it. You might have seen a documentary or two discussing the benefits of this diet for a wide range of people, from those who are athletes, to those who want to lose weight.
Here are some tips to start this diet right:
- Ditch any ingredients derived from animals, like meat, fish, poultry, dairy, and eggs. Replace them with ingredients like those in the Mediterranean Diet discussed above (fruits, veggies, beans, legumes, grains, oats, nuts, seeds, etc.).
- Although there’s a wide range of plant-based burgers, hot dogs, sausages, desserts, snacks, etc., the same rules as those of other healthy diets apply, so keep processed and packaged foods to a moderate level. Instead, aim to get as many natural, whole-food ingredients into your diet as possible.
Worried about deficiencies? Don’t be. If you’re doing it right—eating a variety of natural foods—you should be able to get all the protein and nutrients you need. However, seeing your doctor for a simple blood test will let you know if supplementing with a specific nutrient, such as B12, is necessary. Plus, like so many people following a variety of diets, you can take a multi-vitamin/mineral every day to help cover your bases.
The DASH Diet
If your aim is to keep your cardiovascular system healthy—especially if you need to lower your blood pressure—the DASH Diet should be on your radar. This is yet another diet that has come out on top as one of the best for years, and it’s no different for 2022.
Here are the basic rules to follow:
- Eat more vegetables, whole grains, and fruits.
- You can add in some low-fat dairy and lean protein. Or, you could opt to follow the vegetarian form of this eating plan.
- Cut back on the amount of sodium that you consume daily.
Diet Plans to Avoid in 2022
- The Keto Diet – A lack of fiber and carbohydrates means you risk nutrient deficiencies and a lack of energy.
- The Paleo Diet – A lack of fiber means you’re putting your digestive system into a state of imbalance, experts have been warning about the ill effects of a diet high in meat, and the lack of carbs means you run the risk of lacking energy.
- The Gluten Free Diet – The only real reason to have to follow this diet is if you have celiac disease or a medically diagnosed intolerance in another form; otherwise, it’s too restrictive for most people.
Choose One of the Best Diets of 2022 to Get in Shape!
If you are ready to get in shape for 2022, it is time to change your eating habits, and following one of the most popular diets that experts recommend is a great place to start.